Friday, February 11, 2011

Chip's lunch: February 11, 2011

When Chip is out of town, I find myself eating a lot of crap, whether that's frozen garlic bread or microwave dinners. I seem to have kicked the Cheet-os habit somehow, so there's that. Anyway, one of my favorites is Amy's Veggie Loaf. It's a nice whole meal, with protein, carbs, and veggies. I decided last night that I would try to make my own vegan loaf.

I found this recipe; it got so many great reviews that I figured, why not try it? It made a big mess, with all the chopping, mixing, food processing, sauteeing, and mashing. It turned out just OK. Chip really liked it, which is great, because, well, he eats a lot. It was a little bit sweet for me; it was missing a bit of something savory, I think. Overall though, it was pretty successful. Lots of veggies and protein in it, and it can be eaten alone or on a sandwich.



Homemade lentil loaf, organic peas and organic corn, pecans, dried cranberries, banana, and homemade organic mashed potatoes with vegan gravy.

4 comments:

  1. My goodness that lentil loaf looks like a lot of work!!!! But I think that my husband and son would love it. I may try making it this weekend. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! We left out the mustard, because I didn't have any. I cooked the lentils and didn't drain them right away...I should've cooked them and drained them and let them dry out a little. The dryer you can make the lentils and tofu, the better (I had to cook mine an extra half hour because it was so wet it was falling apart). If your mixture seems too wet, some more oats would probably help. Also, to form it, I sprayed a loaf pan with cooking spray, pressed the mixture in, and then turned it over and dropped it onto some foil on a cookie sheet. Much easier and more uniform than forming it by hand. And finally...the tomato sauce was a bit thick, so I added about 1/4 cup of water to help spread it.

    Let me know how it turns out, and if you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Katie,
    I made the lentil loaf today. It was a hit! We all loved it but I think that my 14 month old son ate the most of all of us :) He just kept going. It was a lot of work but I was thankful for the tips. I also cooked it about 20 minutes longer but that just made the edges yummier! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of your meals have looked especially yummy and creative lately! Nice Work!!! Chip sure is lucky :)

    ReplyDelete